Holy Thursday

[caption id="attachment_1612" align="alignnone" width="645"]After taking my Italian final (*ll*lu**) I headed down the river to Mass for Holy Thursday.  My destination was Sanctissima Trinita dei Pelligrini, the FSSP parish in Rome, for the Extraordinary Form liturgy.  I passed this view along the way. After taking my Italian final (*ll*lu**) I headed down the river to Mass for Holy Thursday. My destination was Sanctissima Trinita dei Pelligrini, the FSSP parish in Rome, for the Extraordinary Form liturgy. I passed this view along the way.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1613" align="alignnone" width="645"]Daddy, be glad you don't have to worry about the server boys lighting 6-foot candles from a platform behind the altar with a giant curtain behind them. Daddy, be glad you don't have to worry about the server boys lighting 6-foot candles from a platform behind the altar with a giant curtain behind them.  Mommy. notice that they clearly didn't have women iron the cloths before they put them on - I can see the grid of creases on the crucifix cover. :)[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1615" align="alignnone" width="645"]After Mass was the short procession to the Altar of Repose.  In Rome, almost all the churches are open until midnight with their Altars of Repose, all decorated and illuminated while the rest of the church remains dark and empty.  People go from place to place, visiting our Lord.  I followed suit - this is the altar at Ss. Trinita.  There are candles, and then there's fire hazard candles. After Mass was the short procession to the Altar of Repose. In Rome, almost all the churches are open until midnight with their Altars of Repose, all decorated and illuminated while the rest of the church remains dark and empty. People go from place to place, visiting our Lord. I followed suit - this is the altar at Ss. Trinita. There are candles, and then there's fire hazard candles.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1616" align="alignnone" width="645"]I then walked a little ways down the street to Sanctissima Salvatore in Onda, which also has the body of St. Vincent Pallotti, a saint whom I know nothing about other than that he's buried at Ss. Salvatore in Onda.  It is a very beautiful church. I then walked a little ways down the street to Sanctissima Salvatore in Onda, which also has the body of St. Vincent Pallotti, a saint whom I know nothing about other than that he's buried at Ss. Salvatore in Onda. It is a very beautiful church.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1617" align="alignnone" width="645"]This one was especially beautiful.  It is the church of Santa Caterina della Rota, an the knights or priests, I'm not sure which, of the Vatican Archconfraternity of Sant'Anna de' Parafrenieri were standing guard.  There were nuns there as well, singing beautiful Latin hymns. This one was especially beautiful. It is the church of Santa Caterina della Rota, an the knights or priests, I'm not sure which, of the Vatican Archconfraternity of Sant'Anna de' Parafrenieri were standing guard. There were nuns there as well, singing beautiful Latin hymns.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1620" align="alignnone" width="645"]Some of my pictures didn't turn out well, so there were actually a few churches before this, which is in San Giovanni dei Fiorentini.  Throughout the course of the evening, I was able to make a holy hour, and ended it by lighting a candle at this altar. Some of my pictures didn't turn out well, so there were actually a few churches before this, which is in San Giovanni dei Fiorentini. Throughout the course of the evening, I was able to make a holy hour, and ended it by lighting a candle at this altar.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1621" align="alignnone" width="645"]On my walk home - Castel Sant'Angelo in the dark, over the Tiber. On my walk home - Castel Sant'Angelo in the dark, over the Tiber.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1622" align="alignnone" width="645"]Chiesa Beata Vergine Maria Annunziata, a tiny little church near the Vatican.  I was pleased to see it had its statues and pictures covered, as well! Chiesa Beata Vergine Maria Annunziata, a tiny little church near the Vatican. I was pleased to see it had its statues and pictures covered, as well![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1624" align="alignnone" width="645"]Almost home - St. Peter's in the dark.  Only one more stop before food and bed. Almost home - St. Peter's in the dark. Only one more stop before food and bed.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1625" align="alignnone" width="645"]Sant'Anna, a few steps from St. Peter's.  From here I went straight home, having done my best to accompany Christ in the long lonely hours of His agony and trial. Sant'Anna, a few steps from St. Peter's. From here I went straight home, having done my best to accompany Christ in the long lonely hours of His agony and trial.[/caption]

 

Update

[caption id="attachment_1631" align="alignnone" width="640"]Courtesy of my father, here's a picture of my parish back home.  We may not have the architecture, but I think we do the flowers and candles pretty well. Courtesy of my father, here's a picture of my parish back home. We may not have the architecture, but I think we do the flowers and candles pretty well.[/caption]

Comments