Easter Sequence

The Triduum holds a dear place in my heart, connected as it is with so many memories of growing up.  My family and I do a lot of volunteer work for the parish.  I practically grew up in the sacristy, choir loft and parish hall.  Nowadays I treasure those experiences, and the love and devotion my parents have always shown for the liturgy.  Honestly, working for the church has taught me so much about life and my faith!  I missed those times this Easter, since I'm so far away from my parish.  In a way, though, that separation forced me to focus more on the liturgy itself, rather than the backstage work.  I was able to notice and appreciate details that sometimes I miss when I'm caught up in the bustle of Holy Week.  I rediscovered things like the silence of the Altar of Repose, the evocative chants and voices of the Passion, the coldness of a barren altar, the privilege of kissing the feet of my dead Lord at the Veneration of the Cross, the pain and loneliness of the Reproaches, the heart-stirring of organ and bells, the swelling joy of the Great Alleluia, and so much more.  Here is another element of the liturgy that I love, the beautiful Paschal sequence, for your enjoyment and meditation.  The translation is partially mine, as I was not satisfied by the poetic versions that I found, but may not be entirely accurate.  (Okay, yes, I procrastinate by translating Latin.  I could be playing video games, I'll have you know!)

Victimae paschali laudes

immolent Christiani.

 Christians, to the Paschal victim offer praise:

Agnus redemit oves:

Christus innocens Patri

Reconciliavit peccatores.

 The lamb has redeemed the sheep: Christ, the innocent, to the Father has reconciled sinners.

Mors et vita duello conflixere mirando,

Dux vitae mortuus, regnat vivus.

 Death and life fought, a miraculous conflict.  The lord of life (was) dead, reigns alive.

Dic nobis Maria, quid vidisti in via?

Sepulcrum Christi viventis,

Et gloriam vidi resurgentis:

 Mary, tell us, what did you see on the way?

"I saw the sepulchre of the living Christ and the glory of the resurrection."

Angelicos testes, sudarium et vestes.

Surrexit Christus spes mea:

Praecedet vos in Galilaeam.

 "Angelic witnesses, shroud and cloths, Christ my hope is risen: He goes before you into Galilee."

Credendum est magis soli

Mariae veraci

Quam Judaeorum

Turbae fallaci.

 Believing in truthful Mary is more wise than [believing] in the crowd of lying Jews.

Scimus Christum surrexisse

a mortuis vere:

Tu nobis, victor Rex, miserere.

We know Christ is truly risen from death: Victor King, have mercy on us.

Amen. Alleluia.

Comments