21 in Rome

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures at the moment of my birthday, but I will at least tell you what happened and there will be pictures later.  They're all on everyone else's cameras.  :)

My birthday morning began with early Mass at St. Peter's, before we sent the girls on their way back to Greece.  We happened to be able to attend Mass at the tomb of Blessed, soon to be Saint, John Paul II!!!  That was like an early birthday present from heaven.

Luckily, we were able to find the girls a taxi - it was difficult, because Obama's visit to the Pope, later that day, meant that all the roads around the Vatican were blocked, so the taxis had to move to a piazza a few blocks away.  I am still praying for the couple who so graciously gave up their claim to the next taxi so that two young women could make it to the airport in time!

We had a full day of classes, including an Apologetics midterm.  Again a birthday gift from God - the test actually wasn't too bad.

After classes, Brian and Lindsay prepared dinner.  Brian tried valiantly to find the right spices for tacos.  Due to the lack of cumin, however, we ended up having interestingly-spiced-meat-in-tortillas instead of tacos.  They did taste good, but they just weren't tacos.  I really appreciated not having to cook, and not eating pasta again!

I was very, very surprised when, after dinner, I heard a knock on the door.  Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't 20 people in the hallway with a cake and singing "Happy Birthday"!  That was quite awesome, since at most I would have anticipated only a handful of people.

The last part of my birthday was actually the next night, when a handful of girlfriends and I went out to dinner.  It was so nice to have a girls' night, at a cute and classy little restaurant, with amazing food!  I was again surprised by a cake, but what a cake!  Next to the candle was a fat, long cigar-shaped thing.  I didn't know what it was until she lit it, and it turned out to be a miniature firework!  There was a stream of white sparks shooting up about a foot high - I am quite sure that my face must have been epic!  The whole evening was great.  Thus concludes my twenty-first birthday!  Mommy, I'm still holding you to that margarita from Chili's when I get back.  :)

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday my dear! We'll celebrate this summer! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment