Summer Reading

Status update - I'm starting off the summer with the same IT contractor job I worked last year. Also working on the Catholic Writer's Guild conference and finishing up publication of the last volume of Dr. Warren Carroll's History of Christendom series. Helping prepare for my sister's wedding on June 1, attending another wedding of two friends the week before, visiting my other sister's convent in June, visiting my boyfriend's family in Michigan for the 4th of July, cleaning out my exceedingly messy and too-full room, exercising, and hopefully doing a fair amount of reading and writing! That's the to-do list, plus getting together with some friends.

I'm on my second day of the job and tonight my sis and I are getting together with our mutually-adopted brother. I was able to get to the library last night just before Sister Michael gave us a surprise call for Mother's Day (awesomely unexpected!) and came home with a backpack full of books. I want to regain the love for and obsession with reading that I had before I got a cellphone and a computer.

The list is starting off with a handful of irritating classics (the kind every lit professor tells you to read but none of which is a really pleasant read), some good classics (mostly modern fiction at the moment, I'm going through a phase), some non-fiction (to help me prep and think about thesis topics) and some random, fun books for summer amusement (because you can't read 500+ page books all the time.) What came home in my backpack yesterday were:

Irritating Classics
-Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
-The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
-A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway
-All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque

Good Classics
-Helena, Evelyn Waugh
-Sword of Honor Trilogy, Evelyn Waugh
-The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene

Summer Fun
-The Fortunes of Casanova, and other stories, Rafael Sabatini
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, Douglas Adams
-Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine

Non-Fiction
-The Stripping of the Altars: traditional religion in England, c. 1400-1580, Eamon Duffy

More will be coming in all categories.  At some point, Summer Fun will be expanded into sub-categories of fantasy and sci-fi, as I'm attempting to get a feel for good examples of that genre.  Also, I will be writing a few reviews on Amazon, on a friend's sister's book entitled The Locket's Secret and the newest Regina Doman fairytale novel, Rapunzel Let Down.

It's good to start with goals, right?

Comments