Madelyn's Gift: Adventure 2

DSCN4103I decided that steeple-climbing could be appropriately interpreted as bell-tower climbing, even though this was technically not a church steeple.  It's as close as I can get, since in Rome, no church can be higher than St. Peter's.  This is the Torre del Mangia in Siena, which stands above the piazza in which the Sienese hold their world-famous Palio, the summer horse race.  DSCN4132

It was quite a fun little adventure!  I don't think my climb reaches nearly the level of some of Madelyn's, since this tower was only 289 feet tall.  According to Wikipedia, it's one of the top three tallest secular-built towers in medieval Italy, though.  DSCN4130

[caption id="attachment_1414" align="alignnone" width="645"]DSCN4146 Piazza del Campo[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1416" align="alignnone" width="645"]DSCN4150 The church in the background is San Francesco, the place where St. Catherine of Siena's head is enshrined.[/caption]

DSCN4147DSCN4137DSCN4140

[caption id="attachment_1412" align="alignnone" width="645"]This church behind me is the Duomo of Siena This church behind me is the Duomo of Siena[/caption]

 

Comments