First Steps on a 33-Day Road

Tomorrow is really exciting, and a bit scary.  Tomorrow happens to be a very special day, but not as special as the one that will follow thirty three days from tomorrow.  If you happen to know what I'm talking about, or you are an amateur numerologist perusing your liturgical calendar, you are now nodding your head and smiling a little.

Tomorrow begins a very important journey for me.  On December 8, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, I will renew my consecration to Jesus through Mary.  If you've seen me at all in the past year, you'll notice that I wear a silver chain bracelet on my right wrist.  That chain is a visible, concrete reminder of a promise I made to our Blessed Mother that I am hers, her slave, handmaiden, and child, now and forever.  I've given her my whole life and all that I do, all my stress and my prayer intentions, all my hopes and fears.  She is my Queen and my Mother, always!

Perhaps you're making the Consecration too, this year, in preparation for the Year of Mercy?  If you want a little extra boost, check out CatholicMom.com - we've put together a series of brief meditations, which I'll link up to once they're posted.  This year, I'm using Fr. Michael Gaitley's 33 Days to Morning Glory, which despite its funky title is an excellent, down-to-earth guide for the average lay person's preparation.

The preparation for the Consecration generally helps me get my life in order, and I'm looking forward to setting out on that road again.  Despite the spiritual challenges which will inevitably be a part of the journey, I know what I'll find at the end: peace, joy, and a renewed zeal for the things of God.  And I can't wait to take my first baby steps towards my Mother again!

Comments