2012 Rewind

I am taking a cue from my dear friend the Theological-Librarian and giving myself a writing challenge.  As I discovered while trying to answer all these questions, it is tougher than it looks!  It's becoming an excellent mind and writing exercise.

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?

Worked backstage on costuming for 2 plays, Nicholas Nickleby and Lady Windermere's Fan.  Including sewing curtains on the stage when they tore on the set pieces!  Also working at my first real jobs, IT Compliance and waitressing.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolution, and will you make more for 2013?

I can't remember what resolution I made, so I guess not!  See my earlier post around New Year's Day for my current resolutions.

3. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?

A strong, consistent spiritual life.

4. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

December 8, the day I made the Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary, the first time I've done this with an adult's understanding and commitment.

5. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Getting an average GPA of 3.783 in my third semester for an average GPA now of 3.644.
6. What was your biggest failure?

Not keeping up during the school year with the daily Rosary, prayers, and spiritual reading that I was completely on top of all summer.


7. Did you suffer illness or injury?

The usual colds and variations thereof.


8. What was the best thing you bought?

The supplies for my best friend's 21st birthday party.  It was a significant financial outlay but it was totally worth it to see the look on her face when she was completely surprised!


9. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Two immature girls did and still do their best to manipulate the people around them, and who have no concept of propriety, maturity or how to treat people.  One of the two in particular doesn't understand that you don't try to steal a guy from his girl.  She almost wrecked the happiness of two lives.


10. Where did most of your money go?

Tuition payments to Christendom College - a most worthy investment.


11. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Spring Formal with Kevin!


12. What song will always remind you of 2012?

"Tale as Old as Time" from Beauty and the Beast.


13. Compared to this time last year, are you:

     i. happier or sadder? Happier!

     ii. thinner or fatter? Well, I fluctuate actually.  So I'm probably about the same at this point.

     iii. richer or poorer? Poorer financially, richer in many other ways.


14. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Praying and being a good active member of the Legion of Mary.


15. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Stressing out about other people's problems that I can't fix.


16. How did you spend Christmas?

Christmas was, as always, a family affair.  This year, as for the past few, we received a phone call from Sister Michael, which was lovely! My sister's fiance was with us for Christmas...which was interesting and rather odd.  Life goes on.  I also spent Christmas partially in bed with stomach cramps, which was nasty, but did watch my favorite White Christmas with my parents in the evening.  I received Divine Intimacy and a Leatherman tool for Christmas along with several other things.


17. Did you fall in love in 2012?

Actually, yes...as did he...


18. What was your favorite TV program?

This is a difficult choice between Stargate SG-1 and Doctor Who.  For overall quality, I would have to say Stargate.

19.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

See #9, although I do my best to try not to hate her or be afraid of her.

20. What was the best book you read?


This is a tough one.  For school, the best book was probably Dante's Divine Comedy or Shakespeare's Macbeth.  The best book I didn't read for school and should have was The Hungry Soul.  Of the books I read for my own pleasure, Dracula, which I reread again later in the year, and The Hobbit, which I read for the umpteenth time, were the best.  This is, of course, out of the ones I actually remember reading!
21. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Oi.  After I messed up royally at St. Patrick's Day and basically dropped my trombone for months...I'm finally discovering that music is something I do enjoy and want to get back into purely for the pleasure and the reward of saying that I can play well, rather than music being a burden or a guilt trip.


22. What did you want and get?

A good GPA!  See #5!


23. What was your favorite film of this year?

This is difficult - I saw For Greater Glory, Avengers, The Hobbit, and Les Miserables in theatres and enjoyed all of them!


24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 19 and had an incredibly memorable birthday.  I was "kidnapped" and dragged off to a lovely surprise party.  It was my first birthday away from home, my first-ever real birthday party, and my first surprise party!


25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Having a better spiritual life that I could have been working on developing and strengthening rather than still working on creating one.


26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Scarves!  Also slowly developing better attention to color, style and fit.


27. What kept you sane?

I was only kept sane by a combination of my dear roommates and friends, my young man, and prayer!  Then again, define "sane", because I don't think I've ever really been sane...


28. Who was the best new person you met?

The best new people I met were my freshmen friends this year, Minion (Anna), Kaitlin, Kinsey, Mary Clare - the list goes on!


29. Tell us a valuable life-lesson you learned in 2012:

You can't fix everybody's problems, and you can't feel guilty about not being able to.


30. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

"Bittersweet and strange,

Finding you can change,

Learning you were wrong."

Beauty and the Beast

Comments

  1. I haven't done one of these quizzes in a looooong time. I've started filling this one out myself. Funny, we've had some similar thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment