I needed a clever way to give y’all an update on my life as an Anachronistic Millennial. Thus was spawned
In which I give you all the current “ings” of my life!
- Reading: A coworker lent me two fairly new books, which I have to admit is a little out of my usual style! The first was The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes and Why, a non-fiction study of disasters and how they affect the human mind. It was an absolutely fascinating work – the author, Amanda Ripley, delved into everything from psychology to physics. The other was a recent Pulitzer Prize novel, All the Light We Cannot See. This was occasionally a rough read, since it takes place during the traumatic times of World War II, and sometimes gets a bit graphic. Not my favorite style—this new fad of first-person present tense can be irritating—but on the whole, the work was a well-woven series of vignettes with a feel of realism.
- Watching: One of my coworkers had an ensemble part in a local production of Mary Poppins, so that was a fun excursion! They did an amazing job with special effects, and it was quite fun to be at another community theater show. A good change from Netflix binge-watching of The Great British Baking Show and Person of Interest.
- Listening: Managed to get in some live music this month! One weekend at home, I managed to catch an amazing Carmel Symphony Orchestra concert – those musicians feel like old friends after twelve or so years of season tickets with my parents! Also had a new experience this week, with a choral concert over at the U of M. That was the first time I’d been to an all-choral concert, which was lovely, although some of the music was quirky.
- Hosting: A dear friend came up to the apartment this week over her Christendom fall break. It was so, so lovely to show her the city, take a long walk in the arboretum downtown, and stay up late talking. She got the chance to work on her thesis, and I got a good friend to hang out with! I’m exhausted, but emotionally so relaxed and revitalized. Trying not to miss her and the rest of my Cdom friends too much.
- Cooking: Said friend and I spent Saturday in the kitchen, overheating, covered with flour, and thoroughly enjoying the process of baking two apple pies! I’ve added some new recipes to my repertoire, like 7-Up biscuits, cornbread, and potato soup. Feeding myself is still a bit of a challenge, but so far I’ve not resorted to ye olde peanut butter and jelly too often.
- Writing: Unexpectedly, a post I wrote spontaneously ended up getting passed around rather a bit. In the process, I managed to identify a recurring style issue in my writing…which has hopefully gotten cleared up in my new writing over at CatholicMom, scheduled for Wednesday. I’m trying to get a handle on this blog again, so pray that I also get a few posting goals achieved!
- Praying: I picked up the Divine Office for a few weeks - fell off a bit with having a visitor here, but hoping to start fresh with Lauds tomorrow morning and get back into the routine. I went through a few weeks of praying Lauds, Vespers and Compline in Latin, thanks to the Laudate app. I found it's a good orderly way of structuring my day around prayer, although setting aside the time is a challenge.