On Life and Literature

My usual method of procrastination consists of writing a blog post.  Now, don't think that just because I have not blogged recently, I have not been procrastinating.  That would not be true.  I just haven't been procrastinating around the internet.

I either cannot or do not want to believe that my second year of college is three-quarters of the way over!  It has been quite the ride.  This semester I learned, the hard way, that distancing myself from other people's stress can be a good thing.  I will always be there for my friends, and I always try to help when there is something I can concretely help with, whether it is listening to a friend vent, providing a shoulder for tears, or giving advice.  But I cannot allow myself to be drained of all emotional energy and used as nothing but an emotional babysitter.  So, after talking to several people who helped me come to the realization that I have to be able to say "no", set boundaries, and not feel guilty, I have done exactly that.

This spring break has been busy, but it is the calm before the storm.  In the two weeks after I return to campus, I have due an annotated bibliography, a political science paper, a paper for Islamic History, an English paper on Crime and Punishment, and a theology presentation.  After that it's another round of exams, more papers, and then coming up on finals and graduation weekend.  I just hope  I make it through with my usual good grades!  At the moment it is difficult to get myself motivated, although I ought to be working on the poli-sci and Islam papers.

I procrastinated this week by reading The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.  In a sentence, it was not as terrible as I thought it could be, but still very lacking as a piece of literature.  I would like to think that I would write a review of the books soon, but we will see if that gets done in the next two days.

The entire Catholic world is waiting breathlessly for the conclave to start.  Once it does, I will miss more and more the disconnect I have from the internet at school.  However, I am beginning to realize that my experience in  2005, when we were at home and turned the TV on just in time to see the white smoke, is a bit of an anomaly for most Catholics.  At this point, I just want to have a pope, even if I'm not one of the first ones to get the news.  It always is surprising how empty and foggy the Church seems without our "papa".  I can always be proud, though, that I'm one of the Benedict XVI generation!

On that note, check out this article by a prospective Christendom student:  I Am the Benedict XVI Generation.

 

Comments