Sincere Apologies

It has been rather a while since I posted.  To be honest, I have no excuse other than that I have been busy with school.

Took a flight to Florida for the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's Collegiate Network Editor's Conference.  Since I'm the Arts & Culture editor for our newspaper, the Rambler, I was sent along with two other staff members.  It was quite a fascinating experience, spending a day and a half at an Orlando resort with over a hundred conservatively-minded, very intelligent students from colleges and universities across the country.  I learned a lot and was given many ideas by the other papers and magazines and by talking to a number of other writers and editors.  I'm very glad I went, as it was quite a valuable experience.

Last week, I had an entirely different and very unique break from school.  I left college a few days early for Thanksgiving break in order to fly out to my elder sister's First Profession.  She's a Carmelite nun, and just took the next step towards her final vows.  That was a wonderful experience!  Not much I can say other than I'm so glad I was able to be there.

Spent a few days at home, relaxing with the family.  That was lovely!  Was able to spend very nice bonding time with each member (yes I know you're reading this but I am indeed sincere.)  Also hung out for an afternoon with some good friends and went shopping.  Book shopping.  Because what other kind of shopping is there to do?  I bought a Christmas present for a friend, and three books for myself.  Strong Poison, by Dorothy Sayers, to add to my collection of her books.  She's one of my favorite writers.  Also I bought a cute little hardback copy of Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe, and a matching cute little hardback of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.  I haven't read the latter but it was such a nice copy and in such good condition that I just had to get it.  Besides, it is a classic.  I will find out for myself if I personally think it deserves recognition as a classic, though!

Which makes me start thinking, what qualifies a classic?  What do we think of when we hear that word?  It is used all over the place - classic rock, iPod Classic, Classics (can refer to either books or the bachelor's degree which includes knowledge of Greek and Latin), etc.  What makes a book classic? My opinion, although I'm open to suggestion:

1. A book that remains popular for a long period of time, for one thing, so enduring popularity is a quality.

2. Also, it should be written in such a way that it is relevant to human life, and not just life in a single time period.

3. It must be, over all things, well-written so that it is accessible to the ordinary mind.  I do not mean dumbing good literature down so that it becomes a book for toddlers, but written such that the common man can read and relate to it, rather than it being particularly a book for the educated in a certain field.

This is something I will have to think about and explore.  Any suggestions?  I'll think of my favorite books that I think should be qualified as classics, and make a list for my next post.  Valete!

Comments