#OpenBook - what are you reading this month?

Finally, I managed to break the Netflix addiction just enough to pick up a few novels in the past couple of weeks.  A few days' travel to DC helped, because who wants to waste phone battery in an airport when books fit neatly into a purse?  My recent reads are an odd variety of genres, but here goes.


I've been in the happy process of reviewing a handful of books, most recently Karina Fabian's Dicovery.  (And I got to interview her!  Yay!)  No spoilers on the other two, but suffice it to say I burned through one of them in a total of two hours.  And discovered again that non-fiction takes me forever to get through unless I have to read for class.


On audiobook, I picked up Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth, which was a fascinating start to a series that I only hope I have the stamina to finish.  If I only read this one, though, I think I'll be okay, as it's much more sci-fi and much less fantasy than his other books (not quite my thing).  The book asks the question of what would happen if man really did discover a way of transporting himself into an endless series of parallel, empty universes.  If one is willing to accept macro-evolution as another "what if" in the scenario, the answer is intriguing.


Years ago, my mom had a collection of Reader's Digest Condensed versions of various classic novels, which she let me read when I was too young for the real thing but an avid-enough reader to crave more challenging prose.  (These volumes, and their lurid illustrations, are where I developed the childhood belief that I didn't have monsters under my bed, but if I didn't jump in from far enough away with the lights out, the lunatic wife from Jane Eyre might grab my ankles.)

At any rate, one of the books I was introduced to was The Great Impersonation, by E. Phillips Oppenheim.  The story fascinated me and was one of a few books which stuck in my head, popping up every now and then with an "I should read that again" tag.  I finally did, after picking up a hardback copy from King's the other weekend, and was not disappointed in my childhood fascination.  This book follows a dual plot of German pre-WWI intrigue and the personal struggles of an English nobleman, whose identity is taken by his German look-alike.  While the novel might not be the greatest of the 20th Century, it's a fun and suspenseful read.  Oppenheim is definitely going on my list for the next time I need a good mystery/suspense novel!

What have you been reading this month?  Link up at My Scribbler's Heart and CatholicMom.com!

Comments

  1. Had I read Jane Eyre when I was younger, I may have been freaked by the lunatic wife too! And, like you, I find that I read fiction more quickly. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment